Lincoln’s words ring through the decades, carrying the same gravity now as when he said them at Gettysburg in 1863 – “…government of the people, by the people, for the people”
Watching the 2016 U.S. Presidential race – with equally high levels of interest and disgust – I cannot help but think we have swerved FAR from the course Lincoln spoke of. So far, in fact, that most people have no say whatsoever in our government. In this day and age your vote DOES NOT COUNT!
I only need to bring up two issues [among dozens!] to serve as perfect examples of my point:
Superdelegates – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdelegate
“Super delegates don’t “represent people”” – and their vote counts far more than yours or mine.
SuperPACs – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperPAC
“may engage in unlimited political spending”
At a bare minimum, just the existence of these two serve to keep your vote from counting equally to other votes – if your vote gets counted at all. [Paste this into your search engine of choice – votes go uncounted]
The numbers don’t lie.
And to many eyes these two issues [and the rest] make the entire process seem rigged. Is there any wonder why voters don’t vote?
There is a better way.
We live in the Age of the Internet. Why not act like it? Here’s how we should elect our next President:
- Open the field – to EVERYONE who is legally eligible. Charge each a flat fee.
- Let these candidates state their positions [on a variety of topics of concern] online.
- Eligible voters read these positions and place a preliminary vote. Ever take an online poll? Pretty quick and easy, right? And results are nearly instantaneous. Same here.
After this first round only the top 10 remain. These 10 then debate selected topics, on air and/or online. Again, voters vote. Then only 5 remain. And so on until 1 remains and that is our President.
Simple and straightforward. And what would it accomplish? Let’s see:
- Your vote counts!
- No outside money controls the election process! [Jeb Bush probably wished this had already been the case –http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/03/jeb-bush-loaned-his-campaign-250k-last-month.html
- America gets a government of the people, by the people, for the people!!!
- We get to live [proudly] in the democracy [not the oligarchy – see link below] America is supposed to not only stand for but actually be.
The America most of us were brought up expecting to live in.